[CBQ] Way car cupola

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Way car cupola
From: "'Rupert & Maureen' gamlenz@ihug.co.nz [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Sat, 13 May 2017 09:48:16 +1200
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1494625764; bh=U10wIgFzj28PfXE7ijgKv1bTxrTQKwu31y8cM3Ftx30=; h=To:In-Reply-To:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=ILmhRdaTQOZA7da1jyqRsO3+OWLNrZQ8uvMmf0Qw2ONnNo0/BbLvckHk2uQc5SSRtzBTm+dTY9JWwsntyxVJXYGXr0A4qYeglfsWlTkmuR7kJ+fs4h2Rs7l3EVWWMjkeS2MSAWP9pqEfnLgD0RszfAn3YbA7Aw6oiD+H/ezCaUU=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Don

I have no knowledge about the preference for the cupola location other than discussions on this List over the years.  I have notes of one discussion involving Russ Strodtz, John Mitchell, Marshall Thayer and others. Evidently, the preference was a personal thing, more common in some districts than in others. But that was on the Burlington in “recent” years, rather than the Pacific Short Line in 1890. Presumably the company’s management had a reason for this style.

What was the reason for the cupola being at one end? Improved layout space, ease of movement within the way car, ease of construction or what?

Rupert Gamlen
Auckland NZ