Re: [CBQ] Chicago General Office Fire Of 1922

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Chicago General Office Fire Of 1922
From: "LZadnichek@aol.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2017 16:08:37 -0400
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

April 23, 2017

Adam - Many thanks! Perhaps, Group member and Q Chicago expert Charlie Vlk can enlighten us all on  this matter of if or if not the 1911 building was reconstructed or torn down after the fire with another structure taking its place. Best Regards - Louis

Louis Zadnichek II
Fairhope, AL

In a message dated 4/23/2017 3:01:13 P.M. Central Daylight Time, CBQ@yahoogroups.com writes:
Adam H. Kerman ahk@chinet.com wrote:
>At 1:29pm -0000, 04/23/17, LZadnichek@aol.com wrote:

>>Group - Ninety five years ago this past March 15th, the Q's General Offices
>>at 541-553 West Jackson Blvd. in downtown Chicago, IL, were destroyed in a
>>spectacular fire.

>>http://guides.library.illinois.edu/c.php?g=416856&p=2843194

>>This inserted/attached image shows the shell of the burnt-out general
>>office building at far right the morning after the spectacular fire.

>>The following link is the definitive official description of the fire and
>>insured damage that it caused:

>>https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=chi.73626441;view=1up;seq=6

>>Most company records in the 15 story general office building were
>>incinerated. This is one reason why early day Q historical records and
>>photographs are so hard to come by.

>That was very interesting. I was wondering what buildings had been on the
>block (between Clinton and Canal south of Jackson and north of the Met "L"
>right of way) with the multi-story parking deck and brand-new bus terminal.

>So today's 547 W Jackson Blvd building is the same building with extensive
>repairs after the fire?

Confirming what I thought I had recalled, the building is from 1911. The
diagram showed today's building with its unusual footprint.

btw, not everything on the Web is accurate:
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/547-W-Jackson-Blvd-Chicago-IL-60661/4244871_zpid/

Posted by: "Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com>

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com