Re: [CBQ] Chicago General Office Fire Of 1922

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Chicago General Office Fire Of 1922
From: "'Adam H. Kerman' ahk@chinet.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2017 15:01:09 -0500 (CDT)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1492977672; bh=a0v8ie+8qds2ayXVbZRZh3SaByeJOqGGSYxawlghUns=; h=To:In-Reply-To:References:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=uiWb/T7MMq4BKBQZ+lH+8Vb4yiDQluynb/OWQGaDQKbdrmDb6cL18MZ3IwhywaYs0wDXpTklLfyIbKJlSz0FHjpNJd3BA1EXer4HU9kNJN4TUjG0AjAK20rD940C8Gij9a0Unkv32Ro8DpsfGqSfkwx1VpWkAdnS9gdohqG2Dow=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Adam H. Kerman ahk@chinet.com wrote:
>At 1:29pm -0000, 04/23/17, LZadnichek@aol.com wrote:

>>Group - Ninety five years ago this past March 15th, the Q's General Offices
>>at 541-553 West Jackson Blvd. in downtown Chicago, IL, were destroyed in a
>>spectacular fire.

>>http://guides.library.illinois.edu/c.php?g=416856&p=2843194

>>This inserted/attached image shows the shell of the burnt-out general
>>office building at far right the morning after the spectacular fire.

>>The following link is the definitive official description of the fire and
>>insured damage that it caused:

>>https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=chi.73626441;view=1up;seq=6

>>Most company records in the 15 story general office building were
>>incinerated. This is one reason why early day Q historical records and
>>photographs are so hard to come by.

>That was very interesting. I was wondering what buildings had been on the
>block (between Clinton and Canal south of Jackson and north of the Met "L"
>right of way) with the multi-story parking deck and brand-new bus terminal.

>So today's 547 W Jackson Blvd building is the same building with extensive
>repairs after the fire?

Confirming what I thought I had recalled, the building is from 1911. The
diagram showed today's building with its unusual footprint.

btw, not everything on the Web is accurate:
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/547-W-Jackson-Blvd-Chicago-IL-60661/4244871_zpid/

Posted by: "Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com>

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com