Re: [CBQ] Burlington railroaders interview

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Burlington railroaders interview
From: "qutlx1@aol.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2016 21:33:05 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1482895993; bh=FDNC98O3wOq2GCID9Iwcj1TxZbMpyR5pu0vt9j0TXHo=; h=References:In-Reply-To:To:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=tI51hPUjUcZZUfgTWD1AC0+jeUdae8koXT8RszNBx8IoSOtKkPutA0S1eaEg8S/zTsNSbF2cs7yVZDIX/FV4GOw712oZ8eLsO099+2HCyLmV8WOP5IKXb0hKR662IoWs2zLflkqCgs4SAgxpu+zy5awad9YtNdBKk4/CS7cH3RE=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Rupert,

I think The comment that no engineer ever taught anyone anything on a steam engine refers just to these guys time period. As the one stated the hoggers he had as a fireman had worked with hand fired engines,they didn't know the left side of the cab with stokers. I'm sure they passed on how to run the loco just not how to fire.

The laid off every winter was very true. After the fall rush traffic dropped dramatically and there were few guys on vacation,once vacations came into being.
The layoffs of operating Crafts quickly followed. Which of course brings to mind a story.
I was working the dinkies shortly after being elected Aurora division griever for the trainman. I was walking out of the depot to the train one morning and an inbound freight crew stopped me to introduce a greenhorn brakeman and I asked him if he been told he'd be laid in the next month or so. He looked astonished.
The only way one didn't get laid off in the winter was by pure luck of when you were hired, how many were retiring and how bad the winter weather became. I was not laid off but my brother was. Pure seniority.

Finally "drunk as ducks". Pretty much speaks for itself. Since this was a steam engine he was talking about the engine crew.

Leo