[CBQ] Book suggestions

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Book suggestions
From: "qutlx1@aol.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2016 20:51:30 -0600
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I've recently finished reading three books and want to pass on that they are
worth the Time and money if you're interested in the subject matter.

The Iron Road in the Prairie State, provides a nice Cliff notes version of
railroad history in Illinois from the beginning into the 1970s and beyond. If
you don't want to plow through Overtons Burlington Route or the Great
Burlington Strike of 1887 this is a good concise overview. Very good coverage
of the Q.
While I disagree with a couple points the author makes,or omits, overall my
highlighter was well used on this book and I learned several tidbits about the
Q and Q people.
The one that really got me wound up is the reference to an incident that
happened on an eastbound Zephyr at Galesburg when a couple ladies,destined to
Chicago,de trained and didn't get back aboard in time. Both Cordery and
Doughty(in one of his books) make a point to stress how much mgmts decision of
how to handle the situation cost
Due to union work rules. I would point out that mgmt had several other options
that would have been far less expensive. Not to mention those options would not
have delayed all the other passengers on the train. Other than  that incident I
feel Cordery gave a balanced view to the ever present labor mgmt. tug of
war,including the great strike and the shop men's strike. Mgmt. isn't always
portrayed with hallows.

The second book is entitled "The last train to Paradise" . Really a very
good,fast read that reads more like a novel but provides very interesting
details into the building and destruction of the FEC extension to Key West.

Finally, if your interested in Illinois rr history other than the Q and really
want to feel like your on the property at the time;get your hands on "The
Illinois Division" recently published by the Santa Fe group. Written in a style
much like I use, you're right in the details of the action.

Leo

Posted by: qutlx1@aol.com

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com