[CBQ] Neola Elevator Co. and Q-MILW Interchange - Savanna, IL

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Neola Elevator Co. and Q-MILW Interchange - Savanna, IL
From: "thommack@yahoo.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: 16 Dec 2016 06:36:36 -0800
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

There is a picture listed on eBay of a BN freight in 1988 in Savanna, IL passing a concrete elevator in the background.

 http://www.ebay.com/itm/361855194638

It reminded me of an elevator shown on my Savanna map from 1958. The map says the elevator belongs to "Neola Elev" and a Google search shows there was a Neola Elevator Co. in Savanna, IL. Bing Maps Birds Eye View shows the elevator still standing:

https://www.bing.com/mapspreview?osid=75518344-1ee6-45cf-a515-cd0eef3c7b99&cp=r0g8n47gm2kh&lvl=19&dir=90&style=o&v=2&sV=2&form=S00027

The Google search brought up an old 1917 Carroll County Business Directory that shows Neola Elevator Co. as providing "Elev., Coal, Wood, Cement"

see: http://genealogytrails.com/ill/carroll/carrollpf1917pg9.html

The elevator was actually served by the MILW, even though it is along the Q ROW. A track came from the MILW yard and crossed the Q twin track main and the 1958 map actually shows four tracks at the elevator. The Bing Maps view also shows the elevator having a barge loading and/or unloading dock. I'm not sure how long it has had the barge capability.

Does anyone know anything about Neola Elevator and whether it was rail served in the 1960's?

I have also been meaning to ask about this MILW track anyway since the Q main connects to it and it appears this is the only connection from the MILW to the Q. But it is not a run-through connection between the Q and MILW as both railroads enter the spur heading west. Was this a Q to MILW interchange track as well? If so, did the MILW drop off and the Q pick up (and vice versa) or did a train enter the spur then shove back into the other railroad's yard? I am very curious about interchange operation in Savanna between the Q and MILW.

Tom Mack

Cincinnati, OH

Posted by: thommack@yahoo.com