RE: [Bulk] RE: [CBQ] Variation in the Grays in the Blackbird Scheme

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [Bulk] RE: [CBQ] Variation in the Grays in the Blackbird Scheme
From: "'Nelson Moyer' ku0a@mchsi.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2016 07:41:46 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1473079297; bh=cX6YZfWAZu8wqY300Fzyjx8/qah9pVBTtEnr6dbPSok=; h=To:References:In-Reply-To:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=lXGWf3+z6kgMHmCpGWm4bxpP1XtKcCT/Wo2am9MmFIgti6iHnk5KOTRl+lLDl0tDLHiXbqJAh4TfqSrb3oa8fz3NDqY8eG4nK2B5dMqvW9RBM4LBuAOtylFgzFNNY+APJkGMv7mpqGIVjjYBSalPmuw/b2XkrwyICqmHYPZ4cWY=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Why not mix the paint in the U.S. and ship it with the molds. I’m sure there must be some creative way to improve color consistency and fidelity. Maybe the importers need to take more control of the manufacturing process. I don’t see the color variation problem with other roads, e.g. UP, but then I don’t model other roads, so I don’t have a fleet to compare.

As for desirable variation, I prefer to have a consistent color base coat that I can fade, rust, or make dirty according to the age and assignment of the locomotive. That way I’m in control of the final appearance, and I don’t have to try to hide Chinese color mismatch as part of my weathering process. If you look closely at the two BLI SD-7s in the photo I posted, one is slightly darker than the other , even though they were both in the same run. The only way to have  color control at this point is to buy undecorated models to paint and decal, or in the case of the blackbirds, mask and repaint the gray.

Nelson Moyer