RE: [CBQ] NW-2 Paint

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] NW-2 Paint
From: "'Nelson Moyer' ku0a@mchsi.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2016 09:03:53 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1472997826; bh=rVyJW4CPx4VpXbcRxhxKMPthdsrgL+VYcVxYQJEfTO0=; h=To:References:In-Reply-To:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=Ea4kdYpOE/itOhSkJZZ7gWTs3fVwzhnW01h0Bjrt6sCLZI9nyO+BC/ozgYfvjR+ogZ9cCaC6srlT0Gi7LQr3FMD7ACsHJemvLgX6Iq4K9zFGv+ZAeVSH7UjtAEOcTawEIk66viBphJUHDqPnh8aGvulqjalxtaxl8bc6VeJWY9I=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

I’ve been told that Model Flex CB&Q Gray was mixed from Q color chips, but I don’t know if the ‘blackbird’ gray was the same as the ‘Chinese’ scheme gray, and if they were different, which gray Model Flex used.

I used Model Flex CB&Q Gray to repaint the tops of a Walthers P2K GP-7 and SD-7, the former too dark and the latter too light. The result was a close match to the Bowers/Stewart VO-1000, which is slightly darker, but lighter than any of my BLI or P2K switchers, and closer to color photographs.

Compared to Model Flex, BLI 9244 is darker with a greenish cast. BLI 9263 is darker with a dirty tannish cast, and P2K 9273 is darker with a decided bluish cast. The new BLI SD-7 (300 and 315) is better than their previous issues with regard to color index, but a shade darker than the Bowser VO-1000. I don’t have the Kato model, so I don’t know how it compares with P2K or BLI models, but since they’re all different, that’s a moot point.

All my color observations were made on my layout with relatively intense 5000K fluorescent lighting with a color index of 86 or better. That corresponds to mid-day sun in the mid-West, and it’s close to ‘true color’ which as a color index of 90 or better. Observations using cool white (4100K with a color index of 85 or lower) or lower Kelvin color temperature will greatly affect color perception so responders need to include the lighting specifications for their visual observations, or the data are purely subjective.

What really irritates me is that every model in the blackbird scheme that has been released by both BLI and Walthers has different gray paint, and these models look ridiculous when lined up together on the layout. The fact that almost all are darker than Model Flex, means that weathering can’t be used to hide the color differences. The BRHS could perform a service to the membership by establishing standard paint colors for Q models and lobbying the manufacturers to use them. I should NOT have to repaint the gray on every model I buy!

Before I commence repainting the gray on my switchers, I’m interested in the responses to this thread.

Nelson Moyer