Re: [CBQ] Heritage Paint

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Heritage Paint
From: "qutlx1@aol.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2016 00:27:07 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1472966832; bh=T82USNiuSDBNwOs3RpIycYNWgt+ozmlfNCzMEvX8rjU=; h=References:In-Reply-To:To:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=du8Cs3CEU8VhIQNgNhOLHWn9S6R/g5UhrjD4nnz1LpXB++A8gVxaI2/hZ528IDVMtLr5nU6psMmCI3z74iRgHsyo7Qg/usYWHHSJgGm9VFrEeT/Pjr5KwlVj4+cmvQeXPNx7tI74bY/z08zfG8mgnJlyQvCtePSsM1ArPsvF6DU=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Doug,

That's an interesting point about the U.P. using older marks because of the size of their fleet. One of the duties of the group I headed at My former employer  was to assign car numbers to new equipment as it was ordered out of the new car plants or for existing cars purchased from others.

We used six digits which provides for 999,999 car numbers. There are only two marks
One series for tanks, with each series,100,000 etc,etc for specific car types.
The other for covered hoppers.

There are other marks but they were acquired with existing purchased cars and are not expanded upon. The switch to 6 digits took place around 1982 when the company got tired of trying to find blocks of 5 digit numbers that could be reused after the former cars wearing those numbers were all retired.

By the way the entire North American fleet is 1.6 million cars according to the most recent data from Railinc. A recent equipment register shows the U.P. Fleet was a hair more than 71,000. Second largest of the RRs. But far smaller than the likes of CIT,TTX,GATX,UTLX,Wells Fargo,etc.

Leo