RE: [CBQ] Where Was This Wreck?

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] Where Was This Wreck?
From: "'Rupert & Maureen' gamlenz@ihug.co.nz [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2016 10:43:42 +1200
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1471905846; bh=mo2CubjbZ0WwE9EmpI20o1HhUYV+b3zwAtAjGDIgMqs=; h=To:References:In-Reply-To:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=ga0b2SNOeVJpW5A5AJ3JTzmcKsnrOFil0jogD8CqfqpOlMPinKlbei7A6i++DxG+VlJ+hTbBDyfCVCZOfxT3MBgS1Niav04JDvQrjWwPnWiLjJmDmb1RKWI1cg0zXtD0nIXkFQFS71EE0qv7uFlq1hgaiulLsDVUurOvqliTHkA=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Hol

The closest I can find is from Railway & Engineering Review 3 June 1899 -

The recent heavy fall of rain throughout various sections of the country causing washouts of roadbeds resulted in a number of railroad wrecks, more

or less disastrous. The most notable one was the wrecking of a passenger train on the Burlington, Cedar Rapids & Northern R. R. near Waterloo,

Iowa, which occurred Sunday morning, May 28. An account of the wreck states that while the train was going at the usual rate of speed a

point was reached known as Sink Creek where a culvert built of stone is situated. This culvert had not been disturbed by the high water due to the

rain storm the night before, but, the sand and gravel were washed from under the track, just beyond the culvert, leaving It unsupported at this

point, from 10 to 20 ft., which resulted In a wreck, and the killing of 7 people with about 40 more or less seriously injured.

Sink Creek appears to flow under the BCR&N at Washburn, which is just south of Waterloo. There was a similar report in the Railroad Gazette.

Rupert Gamlen
Auckland NZ