[CBQ] Train order board at West Eola

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Train order board at West Eola
From: "qutlx1@aol.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2016 22:55:45 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Steve's story of course brought one to mind about that order board near
Farnsworth for the Dinkys coming out of the Hill yard. It was a bit funny as
every crew knew the rules required,at minimum a clearance to go past Eola yard
office. So every crew knew they had to grab orders. But it was gospel that the
rear man get up and verify that the order board was flashing red. The fireman
would grab the engine crews orders from the doors of the control car. Then it
got a bit comical as the middle man and Condr had to get order copies too. Each
crew had their own pattern and it was pretty set in stone. Some middle guys
would be up chatting with the Condr near the front,others would be alone in the
middle of the train. Some crews had a coffee clutch in the rear car until
approaching the first loading station. So Steve was right in not knowing where
the doors would open. And if he got the pattern down by crew,then extra men
would show up on the job and do
Something different.

One morning I was the middle man on Ed Metz job. Ed was the long time Condrs
griever.
I think at the time I was the trainmens asst local chairman. Metz and I were
chatting in the rear half of the rear car as we approached the order board.
Metz asked the fairly new rear man if he was going to pop the door and look at
the order board. The man responded we know we're going to get orders,why bother
?

The grand old man unloaded on that guy and I'll bet he didn't sit down the
balance of the day.

Leo

Posted by: qutlx1@aol.com

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com