[CBQ] Short Flagging [1 Attachment]

To: cbq@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [CBQ] Short Flagging [1 Attachment]
From: "LZadnichek@xxxxxxx [CBQ]" <CBQ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2015 15:08:42 -0400
[Attachment(s) from LZadnichek@xxxxxxx included below]

September 15, 2015

Leo, Archie and other retired Chicago-Aurora trainmen - Question, without pouring over the Rules Of The Operating Department, was "short flagging" tolerated during severe winter weather? In the attached image dated January 1962, a flag man stands a short distance from his way car on what appears to be a bitterly cold late afternoon in Brookfield, IL. I say the man shown all bundled-up in a parka is a flag man as you can see his bag (I know there's a term for it) full of fusees and flags for protecting stopped trains. I suppose that may be this man is protecting the grade crossing in front of him for a backing movement, but I do not see a lit fusee on the road nor a flag in his hand. I'd appreciate any input on just exactly what this trainman is doing (other than stamping his snow covered feet to keep warm). GLAD I live in sunny, warm South Alabama having grown-up in the Midwest on Everywhere West.... Best Regards - Louis

Louis Zadnichek II
Fairhope, AL

Attachment(s) from LZadnichek@xxxxxxx | View attachments on the web

1 of 1 Photo(s)