Re: [CBQ] What's The Hostler Doing?

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] What's The Hostler Doing?
From: "'Patrick Homan' homanfamily@fuse.net [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2016 19:36:37 -0400
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1461713862; bh=C9GkPkXVixg/6OhCgBWKKmwGH1KrI8yDZq6fqr8i1tk=; h=To:References:In-Reply-To:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=DqQ0MKIOLLn3Q5lJDiDD3Dwq6LL4a3TZ/9mffad636dDclm+DmO7MMO1PU8qjZGjLMIok3vZ/Lp3IAk7WPeRZmkB49t5XhicGeepusPaFiiUAxIe1jThRg5VYYqwsxnj/tx4BSf5ggoFaQcoi5J15baFUO+JaJR8xUQocMGT51A=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
X_cmae_category: , ,
X_cmae_category: , ,

Louis,
    This is a great help.  It is nice to clear this up so I can re-do the bunker on my FW&D ,E4 (modified LMB).  The timing is perfect as I am finishing the installation of a Tsunami decoder and my original fabricated bunker is on the workbench.  Thanks again.
                                                        Pat
Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2016 5:08 PM
Subject: Re: [CBQ] What's The Hostler Doing? [2 Attachments]

[Attachment(s) from LZadnichek@aol.com included below]

April 26, 2016

Patrick - In the attached/inserted image of 5632's oil tender taken at Oregon, IL, the "crooked" pipe facing down at the right front of the tender's oil bunker is the vent for the relief valve. Also, note from the lifting straps on the rear of the tender (the straps at front are obscured), the bunker was fabricated separately to drop into the coal bunker. That is, the back shop just didn't weld steel sheets across the top of the open coal bunker to enclose it, an entirely new and separate oil tank was fabricated to custom fit the coal tender.

For comparison, here's an inserted/attached image showing the interior of 5633's empty coal-burning tender in the Galesburg, IL, deadline during 1961. There were a number of steel sheets stretching-up from the bottom to the sides for reinforcement. Evidently, these sheets were removed to make room for installing an oil bunker. This will give you some idea of how "big" the oil tank was that was placed into the tenders of the converted Class O-5-B locomotives.

Lastly, getting back to the 5632's oil tender, the bunker tank top opening at rear is "flanged" meaning that it was supposed to be fastened down with bolts so oil would not pour out of the tender in case of a derailment where it was laying on its side. The tender sand box pipe at front off-center has what looks to be a drop-on lid with hand hold to open/close. There would've been a flexible steam line from the boiler running out under the cab that was connected to the tender oil bunker for steam to flow into the heating coils. The control valve for the steam line would've been located in the cab on the fireman's side. If you contact the Colorado Railroad Museum,  they may be able to take photographs of 5629's tender oil bunker to further explain:

Hope this generally answers your questions. Best Regards - Louis

Louis Zadnichek II
Fairhope, AL