RE: [CBQ] What's The Hostler Doing?

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] What's The Hostler Doing?
From: "'Tom Kline' TKline@airmail.net [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2016 21:05:40 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1460772344; bh=lBOId+W9/iZ5HdcPXH495yDIfRIKN0OXIISnsnF/rls=; h=To:References:In-Reply-To:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=RdLz9+1pptAVWeXlgz7d81hepaWeVx+yT12FTKFS8LZuoaWaDDa5HIx6vxaLZULaGiy1Thtf5Orr2ECgebursAT2sJqj41bHJALW5+3ODStkc7VPWg7GXgIDgVnfviGGZreTT1rXlGYDiO1rRsod0WMIdzeUI+0VjZ7D4kJownI=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Pat,

I’m not sure about your handrail question as I have seen both positions.  Perhaps this was a tender type/railroad-specific feature?

As a former qualified ‘modern’ steam engineman I have never seen very large tender sand boxes on the engines I’ve been associated with (4-4-0’s to 2-8-2’s and cab rides in UP’s excursion steam) so the tender top filler view is very interesting.  The rounded object on the front of the tender you mentioned could be a large sandbox but all the one’s I’ve seen were rectangular and  smaller since you didn’t need a large amount of sand to effectively sand the flues during a trip.

Yes, steam coils ran through the bunker to heat the oil and as Louis mentioned the heating would create a small amount of pressure.  There would be some sort of manual release valve to de-pressurize the bunker before opening the filler.  I’ve heard a few stories of the fate of the forgetful fireman who forgot to do so at the oil crane.  It only takes a few pounds of pressure to make an awful mess.  I vaguely recall one road having automatic pressure relief valves and if an inattentive fireman didn’t pay attention to his bunker temperature he could ‘cook’ his oil causing it overpressure in the bunker and flow out of the valve.  At low speeds this would create a runny mess but at high speed the oozing oil would cool and become stringy creating an ugly mess on anything trailing.

Earlier there was a question about lids to cover the exhaust stack.  From what the old heads I learned from told me and engines I’ve worked the stack flap was to keep rain water and such out, not heat in.  Fire or no fire the stack needs to be open to complete the draft which promotes consistent heating throughout the boiler whether it’s on shop steam or with a banked (coal) or spotted (oil) fire.  You need a continuous flow of air from the firebox out through the stack to keep the boiler uniformly hot.  Some may not know that it would take hours if not most of the day to bring a large boiler up to operating temperature.  As has been mentioned previously about cooling the boiler down slowly to avoid metal fatigue, the same applies to heating it up, and keeping temperatures uniform as they rise or fall is the key goal.

Hope this helps,

Tom