Re: [CBQ] Was Mainline Sidings/ now Transfers

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Was Mainline Sidings/ now Transfers
From: "Jpslhedgpeth@aol.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2016 14:22:17 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1456514540; bh=MEkLlDze2XTdwNMKiW2YJ5Ao1RJDK7QFmB8uf/r5YoY=; h=To:In-Reply-To:References:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=LcLgxcV12QnDuTiIr4Hq3yGSaMpHnJZfbJi4lkHz3iDv7RHMrCwy25VtHrFrzzK+O08mwqAggzVY0qUGLJ9038pm1d16UYdrl0McFZw0qM42+Q0fGqSA2FpycT7ehBh0ygWSmX0izjpBSVsqkyp4vKnh0iVWB/A/iWwDHmmYWgQ=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Leo...I think that the RI transfe which r was the most...notorious...infamous of all that I knew about.  Remember "my day"...is pre 14 hrs...pre 12 hours...16 hours was the limit...This was 61-62.

The "Clearing Run" as it was known went to work at 3:00pm at BI....Their job was to "couple up track 13  (Cars for Wabash)...and Track 15..(cars for BRC).  Thence double track 13 to track 15...get an air test and go...An important additive to this mix is the Conductor "Dizzy Wate...(you didn't call him that to his face..his given name was Ed.  Well this outfit could, with no effort at all spend 2 hours making this move.  The air test was conducted with great thoroughness and it was often necessary to "throw out" bad order cars...(You would have thought that they were going to get out and run 60 mph on the mainline.

Well after this preliminary "fiddling around" they would wander slowly out of the yard and onto Track 5 heading for 87th to set out the Wabash cars and thence over to Clearing Yard...I never rode this job over to Clearing, but BRHS member whose initials are PAW worked as a switchman and "regaled" me with tales of what happened at Clearing.   The first move was to get in a track and get blocked...It then was "nap time"...

After a midnight or later awakening they would run around their train and tie onto the cars they were to bring back.  BTW...Clearning was the only yard from which a transfer could bring cars back..alll other yards each railroad would deliver and come back "light"...

Anyhow after maximum stalling and delay they would start back just in time to make a pickup of a delivery from some eastern road around Gresham or so and finally drag into BI yard just before their time was up at 7:00am....

Everybody wanted on the "Clearing Job"...lots of OT and Nap time.

Pete