Re: [CBQ] Road rage 2

To: "CBQ@yahoogroups.com" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Road rage 2
From: "qutlx1@aol.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2016 21:32:17 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1456457539; bh=9wrc2mEciKKKV3dvtzqUKuZF70JEd8lqjc7nikiRETw=; h=References:In-Reply-To:To:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=Do6liK8L4773VcHYwWGo0iA1ofiJuochevv2FPFpWUp5+cA9qd4/MGX4GaPCwMB+njif5ykxBEwaFNMXHY/xBEK7y8oUDYqFqJ6V6IQoQT3599bln4Pqd1f8Fv/Hw9oy8UpaIy7jcIsY+p7xIrBa599Xlubt7NCUv9rdKGmvZ/E=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

This incident would have been at the grade level jct. that existed at that time. Pictures and track diagrams show a literal spaghetti bowl at this location controlled by numerous switch tenders.
The straightening of the south branch and elevation of the air line cleared that up. I suspect that one or two crews thought they were not treated correctly in order of movement. Then it may have simply been a matter of the labor issue........

If anyone is interested in learning more about "The Great Burlington Strike of 1888" look for the book by the same title authored by Donal L Murray,copyrighted in 1956 by Harvard College and reprinted in 1973 by Russell and Russell.

If your wanting to know how the Q operated at that time,how management and labor thought, what it was like to work on the railroad you'll enjoy the book. It is a labor/economic study written by a professional. I learned a lot. I felt the author did a good job of providing insight and was fair in his discussions of both sides.

There are two other works that were written by union members at the time. I have read Samuels work. I found it interesting but one sided.

Leo Phillipp