[CBQ] Help In Identifying Photograph [1 Attachment]

To: cbq@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Help In Identifying Photograph [1 Attachment]
From: "LZadnichek@aol.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2016 12:26:19 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
[Attachment(s) from LZadnichek@aol.com included below]

January 26, 2016

Hol and Group - I have a question as to the location where the attached photograph was taken. The night photograph shows Class M-4 (later Class M-4-A) 6310 and three unidentified sister 2-10-4 type locomotives at an unknown location. I have heard over the years that the location was either the old Hawthorne Yard (now Cicero, IL) or at the Galesburg, IL, engine terminal and roundhouse.

I've always understood, rightly or wrongly, that the Class M-4 locomotives, while originally intended for powering coal trains in southern Illinois, quickly found themselves operating system wide from Chicago to Denver on heavy drag freight trains. If that was the case, then is it possible this quartet of 2-10-4 types could've been photographed at Cicero? The image would date to 1933.

If not Cicero, then the location would almost certainly be Galesburg where the Class M-4 locomotives congregated for use on coal trains. This image, cropped to show only three locomotives, was used on the front cover of "the Burlington," a souvenir of the CB&Q and Associated Lines handed out to those attending the Century of Progress Exhibition in Chicago, IL, during 1933. Comment appreciated - Louis

Louis Zadnichek II
Fairhope, AL

Attachment(s) from LZadnichek@aol.com | View attachments on the web

1 of 1 Photo(s)