Re: [CBQ] Durham Museum photo collections online

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Durham Museum photo collections online
From: "Randy Gordon-Gilmore randy@prototrains.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 22:24:43 -0600
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I got an offline email asking about the full-resolution "trick".  I
thought I'd posted it before but here it is.  It's just something I
worked out by observation of the photo address...

When you have a photo displayed, right-click on it and choose "View
image" (I use Firefox but I'm sure there is an equivalent IE
command).  You'll be looking at the photo and in the address bar
there will be a long string like:

http://durhammuseum.contentdm.oclc.org/utils/ajaxhelper/?CISOROOT=p15426coll1&CISOPTR=16756&action=2&DMSCALE=15&DMWIDTH=512&DMHEIGHT=469&DMX=0&DMY=0&DMTEXT=9121&DMROTATE=0

Click in the address bar and edit DMSCALE=xx (whatever it is) to
DMSCALE=999, edit DMWIDTH=xxx to DMWIDTH=29999 and edit DMHEIGHT=xxx
to DMHEIGHT=29999 and hit enter.  Then wait, and when the
full-resolution photo appears save it.  The default filename will be
some script name so I name it with the actual record name.  If DMX
and DMY aren't zero set them to zero.

So when you're done the address looks like

http://durhammuseum.contentdm.oclc.org/utils/ajaxhelper/?CISOROOT=p15426coll1&CISOPTR=16756&action=2&DMSCALE=999&DMWIDTH=29999&DMHEIGHT=29999&DMX=0&DMY=0&DMTEXT=9121&DMROTATE=0

The scan display is a script and you're giving it extravagant numbers
to tell it to display at the maximum scale and the maximum extents of
width and height.  As long as your numbers are larger than the actual
scan, the photo will be displayed in all its full-resolution
glory.  You can't hurt giving it extra-large numbers.

I've never run across a photo that was even 20000 x 20000 so 29999 x
29999 is safe.

Randy
--
Randy Gordon-Gilmore