[CBQ] Re: Quincy Book....WOW!!!!

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Quincy Book....WOW!!!!
From: "ku0a@mchsi.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: 14 Jan 2016 09:43:56 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1452793437; bh=+QSYm1gKBgtLSyr/cvaSXz4ZpFNYRM1oXsSFnFRw9aA=; h=To:References:In-Reply-To:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=49hwVRWeKi+KjgSz6BXsTKSB6Kpb7Fks8VM9ccABPgorNfzV8rg/f8gAirzgFtxzlNNtGCf8jlnYOTOOhcQUcT2e+glyxGGVcd++GgBcwwLA15QHyoJfn8kF5wlYl4pjylHNMWEGxL4yTVjsj0yt4De5arppVgeQ87Feemkltn0=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

I concur with Charlie’s comments. This book is an invaluable record of the Quincy branch. Particularly fortuitous for me was the photo of the sand drying house in Burlington. I had seen the brick structure in a photo shared by Dave Lotz, but it was taken in the 1970s after the sand hopper had been removed. Now I have enough information to draw plans and model the sand drying house as it was in the early 1950s.

I’m still seeking information about how ashes were disposed of in the Burlington service area. Was there an ash pit in Burlington? If so, that did it look like? The small three compartment coal pocket at Burlington was enough to fire switchers and the light steam power used on the branch lines, but did mainline steam take on coal and water in Burlington? I’d love to see a book on the Ottumwa/Creston Division that thoroughly covered Burlington, preferable before I finish my layout.

Nelson Moyer

Posted by: ku0a@mchsi.com