[CBQ] Gravel Pit

To: "<CBQ@yahoogroups.com>" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>, "eje@yahoogroups.com" <eje@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Gravel Pit
From: "qutlx1@aol.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2015 19:50:00 -0600
Cc: "qutlx1@aol.com" <qutlx1@aol.com>
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Today I was in Plainfield and Lockport, IL on business. As I have many times
over the years,I noticed clear signs of former rail Spurs to the now flooded
pits along Rte 126,Renwick road and Rte 30. Clearly these pits were served by
the "J". The  1945 and '56 "J" employee TT's show a station .75 miles east of
Plainfield named Gravel Pit with capacity of 119 cars. This would place the
station southeast of Plainfield. There are, to this day, clear signs of of a
North/ South spur crossing Renwick road just east of Rte 30. There are numerous
signs of Spurs on both sides of rte 126 east of Plainfield of more Spurs.

Neither Dorins or Eagans recent books on the "J" mention this area.
I have not been able to find Sanborn maps or a Will county plat map showing
these Spurs.

My gut says these were dug to supply Chicago gravel for cement,etc but would
love to have more information about who operated the pits,when,where did the
gravel go,etc,etc,etc.

Thanks to anyone in advance who can help. Pictures would be just about
priceless !

You Q guys bear with me as I am hoping som regional historian on "our" group
can also add onsite. My guess is these "J" pits date to the same time period as
the Q Spurs at Montgomery and Sugar Grove,Hazelhurst,etc.

Please feel free to add Qutlx1@aol.com to any responses.

Thanks,

Leo Phillipp

Posted by: qutlx1@aol.com