Re: [CBQ] Q Steam Being Scrapped At NWS&W

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Q Steam Being Scrapped At NWS&W
From: "LZadnichek@aol.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2015 17:57:13 -0400
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

October 20, 2015

Leo - As it used to be said in Chicago rail fan circles of the early and mid-1960s, "In every box or roll of Sterling Electric Steel products there was a steam engine!"  Such existing packaging as shown below is now a collector's item in itself.

I got a few chuckles out of your comments about the NWS&W burner whose pants were set on fire by another burner who was working too close to him. This was a real danger for several reasons. One, a burner's bib coveralls and winter jacket/cap were quickly dirtied by grease and grime off the locomotives and other rail equipment he was cutting with either a long or short hand torch. Two, a burner often wore the same grease/grime saturated work clothes day in and day out until they literally fell apart (why change coveralls when they would just be ruined on the next work shift). Three, and this was expressly forbidden but often overlooked, an inexperienced or foolish burner would sometimes blow the dust and dirt off of himself with raw oxygen from his set of gas/oxygen hoses. You know, but for those who don't, oxygen and oil immediately combust and the results can be quite spectacular if not deadly. So, getting a "hot seat" from one of his workmates on the deadline was by far the least indignity that your burner friend could've experienced.... Working in a scrap yard was then as it remains today a dangerous occupation. Best Regards - Louis

Louis Zadnichek II
Fairhope, AL