[CBQ] Re: Q Steam Being Scrapped At NWS&W

To: CB&Q Group <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Q Steam Being Scrapped At NWS&W
From: "William Barber clipperw@gmail.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2015 09:29:31 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1444400976; bh=97lbW/Kc1B2aXUasXaQ89BFX4RkMrpaErFur+8PuOfA=; h=References:To:In-Reply-To:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=g9q2fTmTuQk+VlqZHb5g1RrIdw+53JQ3e6aZ/JJG3lNjmXyvXQDgWfeufknOREZ+AlwOdKsBaxCRfDd5wiiNBIs0iobKiTy1Jx2uUWf/13iiYdsPgm/mZyvhYOBH4pSfd7mYMfl83kDQ1cOtVWOgq6YVuIIs+9tigH1ZsFqt6vw=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Hol,

I rode the first two Illini Railroad Club Journey to Yesterday excursions in 1959 and 1960. I was 16 and 17 at the time. The 1959 trip was the only Q excursion that I know of, that left Chicago at night. That was Saturday, June 6, 1959 and as I recall, we left CUS about 9 pm with the 5632. On the next morning, June 7, we arrived at Lincoln where the 5626 replaced 5632. At the end of a long water stop at Hastings, NE, a few of the railfan passengers climbed into 5626's cab and were not asked to leave as we highballed. The same thing happened at McCook where we had a long fuel and water stop. Again, they stayed in the cab as we left. At the last division point before Denver, I believe it was Wray, CO, my traveling companion and I decided to try our luck. We climbed up into the cab during the crew change, and as before, they whistled off with us still in the cab. When I say us, there were eight railfans including one girl from Cincinnati and four railroad people in that cab; the engineer and fireman, a road foreman and a fourth gentleman who may have been a trainmaster. Both he and the road foreman were in suits. It was dark by that time. We rapidly accelerated and the engineer held the train around 80 mph over most of that last division. Boy was it noisy and exciting for a 16 year old. An all weather cab O-5 at 80 rides pretty rough when you are standing in the gangway.

On those first two trips, we were not Bussed to southwestern Colorado. The D&RGW hauled our full excursion train to Alamosa where where it laid over while we spent three days on the narrow gauge (four days the second year as we also went to Farmington on one day of the narrow gauge excursion). On the first trip, I believe that our train was powered by four D&RGW F7s and a Alco PB steam generator car. On the return during the first Journey to Yesterday trip, 5626, of course, had an eccentric rod failure 37 miles east of Denver, After a couple hour delay, the 5626 was replaced by two E8s which hauled us to Lincoln where the 5632 took over for the return to Chicago. Both were exciting trips for a young boy traveling alone.

Louis Zadnichek mentioned that I might have photos of the 5626 and 5627 heading to Sterling. I believe I do and will try to find them. I think they were taken at Mendota(?).

Bill Barber
Gravois Mills, MO