RE: [CBQ] Q 1842

To: CB&Q Group <cbq@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] Q 1842
From: "Hol Wagner holpennywagner@msn.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Oct 2015 15:36:17 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1443908410; bh=p/f35Rs5uxkKvlA6tDTfyliiVicMZ9r8lsV5eRYaQuM=; h=To:In-Reply-To:References:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=OH1MK2MGU6MpgJvPiXfBv+k+XHWcFPUGxKOfqEjShgKn9HJiN8WvW1GuKuG4TtWoehObZUwS0BZqAl310/abYN2vnLVIl87wgec11HMVlBwXU060w15YNoJ23kaan8CU+NRM+ERowvUlwJl/jOGYTVUld1ol9TFnjzNrK4v0D38=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Louis:

I believe you are right about the photo being at Sterling, but it would be nice to nail it down positively.  As for the date discrepancy, I think it's probably greater than two months, as in the August 22 photo the engine already shows the effects of being in scrapyard service for some time -- missing cylinder head cover and beat up sheet metal cylinder jacketing.  I only have the January and June 1948 Q locomotive assignment sheets, and in January the 1842 is assigned to the St. Joseph Division, where it had been for some time, but by June it's gone, so it had likely been at the scrapyard for several months by the time its photo was taken on August 22.  It's possible that the 1842 was retired under a blanket AFE covering a number of locomotives and that the date someone copied from the records was the date the AFE was completed, that is, all the locomotives retired and sold under its authorization were actually gone.  Meaning locomotives retired under that AFE may have been disposed of over a period of several months.

Hol