Re: [CBQ] 4960 to run again

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] 4960 to run again
From: "LZadnichek@aol.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2015 12:41:22 -0400
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

August 27, 2015

Ray - I, too, rode many Q excursions out of CUS behind both 5632 and 4960 from 1961 when we moved from Ottumwa to Brookfield when Dad became Chicago Division Superintendent until I joined the Navy in 1965. By the time I was discharged in 1969, "Menk the Fink" had killed fan trip steam on the Q, Dad had retired and it was all over with. I used my Q family pass as a dependent to ride all fan trips and never once had a single question asked by the conductors or trip sponsors. I should've taken more photographs than I did with my 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 baby Speed Graphic with both cut and roll film backs, but my fan trip friend Walter Bala from Riverside was far deeper into photography that I was, so Walter did most of the picture taking. We formed Bala-Zadnichek Photos to sell back/white 8x10 prints on the trips and actually did very well as I recollect. We were competitors to the late Glenn Monhart of Hinsdale who thought we were rank "amateurs" when compared to himself. Lots of wonderful memories of being a teenage rail fan. You were ahead of me in high school. My family bought a house in Downers Grove in 1963 and I graduated from Downers Grove (North today) HS in 1964. Lastly, in looking back, Chicago Land rail fans of that era were so "spoiled" that they would actually complain about having the 4960 on the head-end rather than everyone's favorite of the time 5632. Also, criticism would be directed at whatever RFE was in the cab if there wasn't enough black smoke and whistling to satisfy the hard core in the open baggage car behind the tender. Best Regards - Louis

Louis Zadnichek II
Fairhope, AL