Re: [CBQ] Streamline Passenger Car Diaphragms

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Streamline Passenger Car Diaphragms
From: "qchooch@aol.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2015 13:16:28 -0400
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1438449398; bh=qtOJE2At6xP7c5ic06OK2ioY0cjQaLiYPH5sqzVjJ98=; h=To:In-Reply-To:References:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=fkj5WiQgG24x2z9jqw3AbNRlMx3Z5gBBiI9ECvQOwsCj+opDRxjhy7Y9luYufjvf1U1VNAiCRBZNhIZqJbz1UlVpvqlvJvQJwYN0RYWBf4FoUuRdYZDENyIU+mR6NsRReR2nSgI4kfsQ/0LMArcEHRFZ4Gr0kGBYan7hojPkdWs=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Scott:

The early Zephyr equipment of the 30's and early 40's came equipped with full width diaphragms basically for aesthetic purposes to give the appearance of the train being continuous with no gaps between the cars.
As time went on the full width diaphragms became a maintenance issue as they did not allow access between the cars for service on hoses, couplers, etc. so the switch was made to narrow width diaphragms say mid to late 40's.
New car orders say late 40's and beyond including your 1947 Budd-built Twin Cities Zephyr consists came equipped with the narrow width diaphragms so as time went by the full width versions went by the wayside.

Thanks - Dennis Popish

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail