[CBQ] 36 foot stock cars/ steel coal cars

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] 36 foot stock cars/ steel coal cars
From: "qutlx1@aol.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2015 14:34:58 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Even today corrosion from the sulfur in coal is still an issue for steel cars.
CSX is in the process of re-boding (that's how the computer spells it) some
3,000 hoppers. I can't remember which car builder,but about 5 years ago,at a
trade show I saw a coal hopper body made from 3 different materials. The
pockets and slope sheets were stainless steel,the middle panels Alum and the
top panels traditional carbon steel.

Corten steel was thought to be a cure back in the 70/80s but it still
corrodes,just slower. Then,due to its high copper content it is a downgraded
scrap product to a steel mill.

I'm sure most in the group have seen old open hoppers with patches all over the
car. That's where it's been corroded thru.

Oh and finally if you think Alum coal cars are the answer...... Yes, they don't
corrode but the coal acts as an abrasive thinning the car a bit with each load.

Leo Phillipp

Posted by: qutlx1@aol.com

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com