Re: [CBQ] Re: Any Ideas?

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com, holpennywagner@msn.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: Any Ideas?
From: "Rob Adams steamera@netins.net [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2015 20:38:24 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1438220313; bh=oTKvwW5MnfOOVjGmjBgkQoXHpom5ToZbzGoi1T5uySY=; h=To:References:In-Reply-To:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=oLULCquhnZKAmNJbQ+vLKD9RNddLUsLg7YRfeiv55ipHNOtgLbP+Kd/RHtfzXDERLRfjOGrF8/hg1GiIj+nD/nAa+kbFj8yU9P8taFoRLKaBoQ6YfdC5xKqOz8TKdY3TaIZhXM3EMuUSKw1e19/3oucTT7C80ijMQTFGRFaqQ6c=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

I'd wager at least some of you guys have access to a book published by the C&NW Historical Society titled Locomotive Facilities of the C&NW and CStPM&O by Joe Follmar (unfortunately now deceased).  Chapter 2, Elevated Coal Chutes contains many photos and drawings depicting structures for locomotive coaling that share many features in common with the structure that Hol shared a photo of.   There are even some without a protective roof or enclosure.

I'll excerpt a description from the text:

Push Car Dump Coaling Stations
    The moveable "pockets" in a push car dump were small hand carts, similar to mine cars, which were equipped with flanged wheels and rode on light rails from the center of the elevated platform to the edge alongside the locomotive coaling track.  Coal was shoveled into the push carts in preparation for the coaling operation.  When a locomotive arrived, the carts were pushed to the edge of the platform, out over the edge of an apron and dumped into the waiting tender.  In this way, a locomotive could be coaled up more quickly than by use of buckets and a hoist.

I'd encourage people to take a look for themselves.  The function of the structure depicted in the "Newcastle-Cambria" photo may be something different, but it sure has all the features of an early Push Car Dump locomotive coaling station.

Kind regards,

Rob Adams
Wellman, IA