[CBQ] SW and NW2 Overnight Heaters

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] SW and NW2 Overnight Heaters
From: "jeralbin@aol.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: 03 Jul 2015 08:50:24 -0700
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

 Dave and List,

 I have attached 3 scans in the Photos section of maintenance instructions for a 1941 SW-1. The instructions are the same for a 1947 NW2. The photo in the scan shows a heater that appears in many of my photos of Q SW and NW2 units. Does anyone have a dimensioned drawing of the heater shown. We know the GP's heater was housed in a rectangular steel cabinet with an extended exhaust stack while the SD's heater was inside the hood with only the stack coming out the side of the hood . What I never noticed was that an external steam supply could be used for standby heat on SW and NW2 units, perhaps on other models as well. This all reminds me of my 2002 post and question about external standby heat. Does anyone know if the external standby heat at Red Oak was steam or hot water and what does the term "imbecile" hose mean?  Regards...Jerry Albin

11767Overnight Heater (was Diesel Engine Question)

Mar 2, 2002

If you have the January 1958 issue of "Model Railroader" magazine, (page

58-59) there is a photo article by Bernard Corbin about the diesel service

facilities at Red Oak, Iowa. Among the great 50's photos was one that caught

my eye that shows a boxcar body that was used to house a "...heater that

keeps loco's radiator water [note hoses] warm in cold weather." Apparently

the switcher assigned to Red Oak was shut down for extended periods of time

and during subfreezing weather it was hooked up by "imbecile" hoses to the

heater in the boxcar body. Has anyone ever heard of this practice or know

where the fittings were located on the locomotive? This arrangement is not to

be confused with the on board overnight heaters installed on some SW, GP and

SD locomotives.

Posted by: jeralbin@aol.com