[CBQ] Re: CB&Q Sanding Towers in La Crosse and Savanna

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Re: CB&Q Sanding Towers in La Crosse and Savanna
From: "jonathanharris@earthlink.net [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: 08 Feb 2015 08:04:20 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1423411461; bh=pMqL68tVU8xquDM/9c2r+o41tqjPMH2OG/BJIH5riMo=; h=To:References:In-Reply-To:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=iSaSlwzLAsve0DQsNdgO1E3UKx0UaDczIeYaCxpBNHY6aN32v7dWi9RHA/+RlN8+jxFnh4uOfM80Po/VlSuuGm82R0+OXQ6fKFJTYL02rCpFhB/EaqIsObWrU+CLt8JnhhBlzTc3DEBkhRUFCLZZqCCUfsyHsHLpd2o9ZHInRo8=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Tom -

I can't answer your question. However, in a long thread on Burlington facilities back in November of last year, the matter of sanding towers came up. Hol Wagner made this observation in a posting on Nov. 7 (Message #47683):

"...depots and coaling stations are the only structures I'm aware of for which the Q drew diagram sheets.  Water tanks were, for the most part, of just a few standard designs, so large, detailed drawings used for their erection are all I have ever seen.  And sand towers, by the 1940s, were being manufactured by outside firms such as Roberts & Schaefer, and the manufacturer's drawings were used by the railroad.  I have looked for years without success for a drawing of the fairly standard wooden sand tower used by the Q in the steam era where sand was not dispensed at/by the coal chute...."

So if somebody can identify the manufacturer of the sand tower(s) in La Crosse and/or Savanna, that may give you a starting point or a clue.

Jonathan

---In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, <thommack@...> wrote :

There is a slide on eBay of the CB&Q sand tower in La Crosse from 1968.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141548181295

From photos in Mike Spoors CB&Q in Color Vol. 2 page 70 and a couple of other photos I ran across it appears to me that this may be the same tower design used at Savanna. Can anyone confirm this? Was this a standard Q design? If so, does anyone have the plans for this tower design or has anyone built one? I need to build one for my Savanna yard. It looks like a fairly simple build if I can find the dimensions.

Tom Mack

Cincinnati, OH