Re: [CBQ] The Great Smoke-Off: M-2 versus M-3 [2 Attachments]

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] The Great Smoke-Off: M-2 versus M-3 [2 Attachments]
From: "LZadnichek@aol.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2015 15:11:19 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

January 28, 2015

Jonathan - In memory of the USRA Class M-3 locomotives, here are two more Lines West images (inserted and attached) showing No. 6301 in Denver, CO, on September 4, 1940 and sister No. 6305 in the deadline at the Denver Shops on July 3, 1953:

Both locomotives were sold for scrap in August 1953, victims of shiny new EMD Geeps, SDs and Covered Wagons. This might be telling, but to my knowledge not a single M-3 was modernized with lightweight running gear, as were a number of the Class M-2-A locomotives. In any event, not a single M Class locomotive (including the Class M-4 2-10-4 type) was preserved. Best Regards - Louis

Louis Zadnichek II
Fairhope, AL