[CBQ] Seasonal Use Of Gondolas On The Q [2 Attachments]

To: cbq@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Seasonal Use Of Gondolas On The Q [2 Attachments]
From: "LZadnichek@aol.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2015 12:54:25 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

January 28, 2015

Group - I thought the inserted/attached CB&Q publicity photograph of Class M-2-A No. 6132 with a long train of wood gondolas loaded with coal would interest members. The undated view was taken at Bushnell, IL:

No. 6132 was built by Baldwin in 1915 and faithfully served the Q until being retired in May 1954. From the sharp exhaust, it appears this extra coal drag has just gotten a high ball from the tower and the engineer has the Johnson bar down in the corner and is latching out the throttle. I can almost hear it bark....

As for comments earlier about the relative merits of the different Class M locomotives, I've seen very few images of the USRA Class M-3 locomotives in coal service in southern Illinois so I suspect they were dispatched to Lines West and the C&S rather quickly. The following inserted/attached image shows class leader No. 6300 at the Centralia, IL, coaling tower in 1938. Note the large "can" headlight:

No. 6300 was later leased to the C&S. Constructed by Brooks in 1919, the locomotive was retired in July 1953. All the USRA Class M-3 locomotives were retired during 1953 and 1954. Despite their lack of suitablity for coal drags in southern Illinois, No. 6300 and its sisters all contributed their fair share of ton miles on Lines West and the C&S. Best Regards - Louis

Louis Zadnichek II
Fairhope, AL

View attachments on the web

Posted by: LZadnichek@aol.com