[CBQ] Re: What type of Q locos used on the Oriental Limited post war?

To: CB&Q Group <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Re: What type of Q locos used on the Oriental Limited post war?
From: "William Barber clipperw@gmail.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 09:27:33 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1422286057; bh=Yfnk1t3yz6OOBS2te4xEF2hWMK2TQrpluaqx6dfuJ1g=; h=References:To:In-Reply-To:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=4Y/yWDACtwmEOWUHL0CBalNYJhJnblp18ogmzIn5rZ5VNcqNQQsMOQXmaTwNYVUq02YYnveT+uIRUp8cGwY9bg03NbCaOcVUYjhPEpsIB5SWccfPzEURn1cLx1v66njSUUXS5fpIIL8CQWAEzasYQFWiMGW0n0qQ/89TIKpdhHE=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Hu,

I would add the B-1 and B-1A mountains as another possibility. Strauss's book Burlington Route Passenger Trains Vol. 1, shows hudsons assigned to the Empire Builder during WWII, but due to the train's length, it was often run in two sections; Pullman and coach. O-5 northerns were also assigned to the heavy weight Empire Builder, but could handle the entire train as one consist. As you probably know, the Oriental Limited, did not exist between 1931 and 1946. It operated as a heavy weight secondary train from 1946 to 1951 when it was replaced by the streamlined Western Star. The E-5 diesels operated primarily between Chicago and Denver during their early years. As new E7s came on line right after WWII, I suspect that fewer steam locomotives were assigned to such trains. The O-5s were re assigned to freight while the hudsons were assigned to such trains as no. 45 and the locals to placed like Galesburg.

Bill Barber
Gravois Mills, MO