Re: [CBQ] Q Industries Served in Savanna

To: "CBQ@yahoogroups.com" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Q Industries Served in Savanna
From: "qutlx1@aol.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2015 10:59:40 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1421168382; bh=dPBmzsgQEs64xMZQhOrdAUT6tKg+7sBiNKUr2Hohfvc=; h=References:In-Reply-To:To:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=tcZSTlSEox0bYpajU/8uo6PguJ/Qx1/wJxqDqEvg7CIcyNtBLYB8JRZIdWl7sLH7MxZLj7wKxFw5xKML+UO0q2hLZfEWwlqPy3Hno373/h6TL0vfORGynxrSd56ds1HP0RVvUhp/qEdWX9LPtHNvA14aN3g8M3DcnpCSy7TeELA=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Tom, here's what I found from my presentation on the Wayfreights .

From at least 1934-50 there was a way frt based at Eola working to Savanna M-W-F,returning T-TH-S.
Staring in '50 the Oregon Turn was established Eola-Oregon and return; replacing the other Wayfreight.. This lasted at least until 1966 (ETTs stop showing locals in 1967). So for this period the pickup would have handled local work Burke to Stratford. This would be fertz.,propane,feed,mtys for grain loading,etc for any station in that zone. Stock would have also been handled if it had time left to be handled by that job. Also Kraft at Milledgeville would ship an occasional car of cheese.  And weird as it sounds retail coal was handled. We spotted a car of same at Chana in 1978  on 364 out of Savanna !

According to 1968 operating data sheets #102 (p/u) was scheduled for 12:01AM out of Savanna. Also listed on the same page is a Eola-Chadwick turn working a round trip daily except Sunday. I recall Barney Joseph talking about working this job w/ Bob Harding and the money they made. My understanding is this job was short lived.
There is a picture of the p/u working at Milledgeville in the presentation..

Not sure if it was pre or post merger,but by '73 there were two Wayfreight turns working Eola-Savanna via Mendota/Denrock.returning next day via Oregon.  So there was eastbound Wayfreight out of Savanna 6 days a week doing all local(not Oregon or Rochelle) to Eola.

Leo

Sent from my iPad