Re: [CBQ] GP 7 and GP 9 Bell Location

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] GP 7 and GP 9 Bell Location
From: "sartherdj@aol.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: 09 Dec 2014 16:02:56 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1418169777; bh=+iU3ZjLhfqwejB98FdU29L+a0SEq/PUR/7HuXYyx/Lc=; h=To:References:In-Reply-To:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=pYqsgO+hLKTriD/xYzfFVYT3kZvpx8DVJ7M51LEc6gHgS1DxpRVoQJYo7HtS/pDXJA2JqQqi1D8BDe189OG3oP3cseQb5+mhBhV6cz8bDfGxjlbBvvPlI331fbS6LkRxTWTepJ3BPYZSh1udj7aGjTyL0M1A+Y3/GR+kZ7hDPVc=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Steve Holding  & CB&Q Modelers,

Here is a reply I received from Bob Campbell regarding the location of the "bell" on CB&Q GP7's and 9's.

"I hired-out on the "Q" originally in 1964 and went into engine service in 1969 in Aurora, IL.  As I recall, and I'm about 99.99% sure, the bell on the 200 number series GP-7s was mounted on the short hood end (F), under the frame, tucked behind the step well.  If you were standing on the ground, facing the short hood of the GP-7, the step well I'm referring to would be the one on the left.  You would have to get "up under" the step well to see it; not visible from normal viewing angles.  As far as the 20 GP-9s the "Q" had, I don't recall ever working one as I believe they were primarily used on "Lines West" but I believe the bell was mounted in the same location as the GP-7s.  As built, the GP-7s and GP-9s had cross-over drop plates and grab iron chains; later (date unknown to me), these were removed and a solid bar filled the space previously occupied by the chain. "

Bob's recollections echo those of another former CB&Q employee  and list member Steve Holding.  Thanks to both Steve and Bob for their timely responses.

 Another detail that CB&Q modelers and Red Caboose kit builders can cross off their "inquiring minds need to know" list.

Later,  Dave Sarther     Tucson, AZ

---In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, <sholding@...> wrote :

I think it is hidden up under the front steps.  Out of sight out of mind
Steve in SC