RE: [CBQ] IHB Undercrossing at Congress Park

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] IHB Undercrossing at Congress Park
From: "'Charlie Vlk' cvlk@comcast.net [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2014 16:39:03 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1417991946; bh=xcQ/k/7xrH1CPmUpidqZLixKqocWr1uxMTLYlEvNpPw=; h=To:References:In-Reply-To:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=Hrya5e5+ptzhrZUAYodiIhVdz3QTHm+hudPx7U/n0FN2HzJfMXU880D+lcQVkLJUmnhJe0uH0jfYq7IZlAxW9dVGo97W/B11MipQ+YC749YBqz0J2PQhw8a53jBfGFNFL5KSB/3eEkqAP3JV2yzR5RP9Zz6QCvTbSrxmhei0xQY=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Glen-

Thanks for the information.   I think the calculations are off if you used the current or even post- 1960 figures for the bridge elevation.   At some point the bridges were raised over the IHB from their original position.

The IHB undercut a number of the tracks under the spans to accommodate autoracks in the late 1950s/early 1960s.

The tracks in front of the Congress Park Station was originally even with the floor level of the station.  When the CH&W was extended north of the CB&Q the track was raised in front of the station necessitating a number of steps up to the platform/track level.  The switch for the South interchange track was at that time west of the front of the station.   After a wreck in 1918 destroyed the front of the station a subway under the tracks was installed to provide access to the platforms and the mains and interchange track were raised to clear the subway.   It may be at that time the bridge was raised.  I would guess that the concrete caps on top of the original stone piers and abutments raised the bridge a good 3-4 feet.

The testimony from the CB&Q at the time of the CH&W/CB&Q dispute over crossing at grade stated that the run up to LaGrange was the ruling grade on the CB&Q east of the Mississippi and that trains would not be able to make it up the grade after having to stop for traffic if there was an interlocking at that point.

I have an early (1917 or so) AW Johnson photo taken at the bridge which shows it in its original configuration.

Thanks,

Charlie Vlk