Re: [CBQ] Boxcar Series Question

To: "CBQ@yahoogroups.com" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Boxcar Series Question
From: "'fhc925@frontier.com' fhc925@frontier.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 09:59:24 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1416247165; bh=qUXaH+qDlMeO1zyInbyVkRwU69kR3cjZLYbvPXt/en8=; h=References:To:In-Reply-To:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=5OZQScQrvxvybnjhIOr01q/KMnGXmDTSxwVE105HXittbu/ab79ykkA7klYt0AhjOoJKFCDe3bo88ws0VLXhrTs/0cBJAGUg8e0o8448Q2piXykKnmhEYR4UzdG+gwzwy0Vt03fS+qOzcvxVYEpqUUEyBGxtVZYPdziyvxlB09k=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

The two 20000 series CB&Q 50ft auto parts cars were called in the auto trade "PD" cars.  This was a shortening of "Parts Device" cars.  A PD car was lined with a steel interior wall with square holes.  The cars were used to move auto parts from various parts plants to assembly plants.  It was a universal car that could handle everything from stampings like hoods and fenders to engines and transmissions.  There were cross bars to secure the load or two double or even triple deck the load.  It depended on the load.  The Q had cars assigned to various firms, generally Ford and the General Motors divisions, as well as various vendors. They were placed in to this service after WWII.  They were replaced by1965 with new 60ft and 86ft cars.  I was in Detroit working for the Q in Sales during the 1960s.  I never saw the interior of one of these cars.  However there is a nice photo of a Pere Marquette PD car interior in Art Million and John Paton's book on PM freight cars.  I do not know who made the interiors but Evans Products would be my guess.  The PD car was the predecessor of the Damage Free (DF) car which Evans did hold the patents on.