[CBQ] The West Wind [2 Attachments]

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] The West Wind [2 Attachments]
From: "Randy Gordon-Gilmore randy@prototrains.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2014 21:00:42 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Several years ago, in answer to a request of mine, Ray Bedard sent me
a nice scan of "The West Wind" artwork that was used in early Pioneer
Zephyr promotional materials.

Well, it's been almost 3 years, but the 80th anniversary of the PZ
service introduction is coming up the 11th of next month and I've
finally gotten to working on the 3D embodiment of Zephyrus.

I'm attaching a rectified scan of the artwork (which never existed as
an actual sculpture) and a very poor rendering of the work in
progress.

It's been an interesting project so far.  I've been studying Art Deco
bas relief sculpture, and my main references are the "Morning,
Present, Evening" triptych at Rockefeller Center in NYC and
"Transportation and Industry" on the facade of Cincinnati Union
Station, neither of which I've ever seen in person but ample images
online.  Also a large array of photos of Third Reich eagle badges I'm
using to help with the wings.

The artist of Zephyrus has presented several logical conundrums in
realizing his sketch as 3D.  Zephyrus is behind many layers of
clouds, but is still overlaying the surrounding ring.  This has made
the ring recede into the background, which I'm not entirely happy
with.

I'm not sure how I'll end up rendering the clouds.  Art Deco
precedence is to stylize them as I'm showing, but I might end up
puffing them out somewhat.  The forward section of the wing also
needs some work--it is sloppily rendered in the sketch.

Anyway, I'm blocking out the elements for now and keeping them
separate so I can tweak them individually.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to do an actual machined piece by Nov.
11, or just try to do some renderings.  We'll see how the effort
progresses in the next couple of weeks.

Best regards,

Randy
--