Re: [CBQ] Re: Rochelle Swift Plant

To: "CBQ@yahoogroups.com" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: Rochelle Swift Plant
From: "STEVEN HOLDING sholding@sbcglobal.net [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2014 08:02:24 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1409497361; bh=rZRNW4sqVvsiPunKnPr7NUO491SjMkYZr7JaS7EnV64=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-YMail-OSG:X-Received:X-Rocket-MIMEInfo:X-Mailer:References:Message-ID:To:In-Reply-To:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Original-From:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=DMYI+CqPXTC9vYsL7R/21KJyPaYxCYxyEvgotU5QhCV5E4npntx7byKf0qlzKPnxBK5VZv6CGRlC6TWySE6dwPFAaX9tsoXTqD4ju9mQh2Q3TgYJe/9TzY3RQe5pEmhGKYJYoG3Vu8XC6fWyD6rzGpgCS25my11HHJXvO7qSzkc=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Sanborn is the first place I look even though they often do not show or have gross errors.  The swift plant does not show on the maps you can get to on the Internet.
The Swift plant had an open house in the mid-60's and we took a family day and went to it.  It was of course shut down and cleaned up for the tour.  Up till 1966 when my parents would not let me go to the farm(in Mich) for the summers we would have a beef shipped to the local slaughter house and then go get it with our trailer.  Lay it in old bed sheets in the trailer and haul it to the local locker plant.  There the owner would cut and wrap it and put it in our locker so when we needed meat at home we would make a shopping trip and stop by the locker and pick it up.
After getting moved to Galesburg I worked part-time for the neighbor and every Thursday we would weight and sort out the fat hogs and load up 50-75 and take to Wilson Packing in Monmouth.  I also would raise and haul a couple in every year then take the check to the bank and walk over and pay my taxes at the courthouse.  There was a local plant in both Galesburg and Abingdon which would kill, cut and wrap your hog or beef. While the neighbor also raised beef but I never got to go on a trip to Joslin(on the Pea Vine north of the Quad Cities) to the IBP plant.
We will talk more of this at my Clinic at the Rock Island meet in Sept.
Steve in SC