[CBQ] Train 73 Galesburg to Creston Wheel Report mid-late 1966

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Train 73 Galesburg to Creston Wheel Report mid-late 1966
From: "Bill Hirt whirt@sbcglobal.net [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2014 19:24:50 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1404087893; bh=iO0e28T3zKZU1SpwqQgvFHOAu4wAgFdNES2Wa0U4OnY=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-SMTP:X-Rocket-Received:Message-ID:User-Agent:To:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Original-From:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=Jsmwjsh7EzCV4+UHfnMkPVAbfbWoRijz3RtfjPZ1u+lYILJmXTMOMv/AjVJ/4vL4xAPu2eZ4WYocAHYhULmhUGlsbw9G/poa8FhVFryB/v5nAMelB/ThozfEzbO5JejSMf2y2b2pmoUIIRah4Zoac8WUkDZ0IjME7tLHtbt0EnE=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
On the Yahoo Rail Freight Group, Russ Strodtz posted several CB&Q wheel
reports from 1959 to the late 1960s. These wheel reports provide a great
deal of information of the type of freight cars and commodities moving
across the CB&Q during this period for the modeler and the historian.

The original listings are essentially the teletype reports sent along
the system of the train’s consist from the early IBM 80 column punch
card days. Many abbreviations had to be made to fit the then limited
memory and disk space. The instructions for doing so were contained in
the Burlington Route Procedures and Codes for Train Consists, Car
Reporting, and IBM Car Records. I have uploaded an Adobe PDF version of
this booklet to the files area.

I have used this booklet along with other sources to expand on Russ’s
raw wheel report posting. For example, each car is identified by an
entry in the Official Railway Equipment Register if at all possible.
Also, I have made an effort to identify as many receiving companies as
possible based on various railroad industrial guides I have on hand.

The first wheel report I am posting is Train #73 from Galesburg to
Creston. This is an Excel 2010 file. Russ estimated that this wheel
report was from 1965, but it appears to be from mid-late 1966 because
some of the cars that appear in the train consist were first listed in
the ORER.

There are still incomplete entries in the receivers as not all
abbreviations could be identified. Help identifying any of these would
be greatly appreciated.

I have several more wheel reports that Russ posted. I am still doing
some research on them. If there is interest, I could also post them to
the files area once I feel they are complete enough for a release.

Many thanks have to be given to Russ Strodtz for saving these and taking
the time to type and post them in the Rail Freight Group. These reports
are a great source of information that is very difficult to find.

Bill Hirt

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com