RE: [CBQ] Yellowstones On Lines West

To: CB&Q Group <cbq@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] Yellowstones On Lines West
From: "Hol Wagner holpennywagner@msn.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2014 11:28:44 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1402766926; bh=3GYR0+UEkDyhfHQ4k5nNBX5vmJdPjS5KcUtiOK+Bds8=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-TMN:X-Originating-Email:Message-ID:To:Importance:In-Reply-To:References:X-OriginalArrivalTime:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Original-From:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=hzlj1OJ7T1mlCQPqyRbz1Uviq7BPTyVwWwwTaYjfRtMQhsz+UzmERQ7Ceq5mJ+vSqqROE97tDI9K59xBna14JxuApYOIkE9dVE3W8T54cnLXarOyRZ5PIZ8O3J510wwQRj98S+AZLMKIKzmnmMBPOAh6xxX4w61czTywDEpLOf0=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Louis:

The DM&IR engines were simply being moved west for service on the D&RGW, and
I'm sure the Q wanted them off their rails as quickly as possible and therefore
double-headed them.  You're quite right that the drawbars of freight cars would
break before the capacity of two of these engines on the Chicago-Denver
mainline was reached.  Joe Schick did not record how many cars were in the
train he photographed.  And I don't know if the engines were double-headed all
the way from Chicago, or if the were paired up at Lincoln.  And since the D&RGW
leased a half-dozen of the Yellowstones in two consecutive winters -- 1942-43
and 1943-44 -- there would have been numerous possibilities for double-headers
over the Q.

Hol