Re: [CBQ] Re: Student Trips

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: Student Trips
From: "Jpslhedgpeth@aol.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2014 11:48:20 -0400 (EDT)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1400687301; bh=dwVnxMSM/IKaFAg4T8gAJ/2Tc16SlIut3JF6Fxr0sZE=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:References:To:In-Reply-To:X-MB-Message-Source:X-MB-Message-Type:X-Mailer:X-Received:Message-Id:x-aol-global-disposition:x-aol-sid:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Original-From:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=sOMKEc0kB+/bPigF63Nlrkxtpfkxil/PwxdfUxyqirsm3w0/AWi1TGUqoZAAqly03KTL5p2gQGxShsOpV2hULQ4835je/bfvOiucTX4fMTGh7FaAbmjQylf/JRp9QZmlloUgvQ+Oc1Fg97gF5DrGci+nTrHMTVx2A6qkKCiyyH8=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
OK Bill  That's "all well and good"...but  just  think of all the stories these
new guys won't have to tell..They won't have any"characters" to
describe...It'll be "just a job"

I always, in instances like this quote a message from an old RAILROAD MAGAZINE
article..."What we endure with hardship we remember with delight"...

Made my first student trips in 1956...At that time there were men around who
had seniority back to the "teens"..Lots of good stories...some of them might
have even been true.

My experience was that in most cases...once the old guys found out that you
weren't a complete screw up...and that you were trying to do your best work and
best of all when they found out that you knew something about
railroading...which I did having grown up on the RPL&N RR...they would accept
you with a minimum of criticism.

I for one consider myself fortunate to have worked at the tail end of the age
when railroading was what it had always been and that most of the old
traditions and "ways" were still very much in effect.

I'm sure that railroading is much safer now and certainly more efficient...but
I'm sure that  it ain't as much fun as some of us old coots remember.

Pete