Re: [CBQ] GN Unit's East of Twin Cities

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] GN Unit's East of Twin Cities
From: "Kenneth Middleton" <krmiddle@charter.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 15:32:10 -0400
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1395343933; bh=vZcac70qlFdZABjUze5SSxGPgwv4rgrGJobNz2iYSmM=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Authority-Analysis:Message-ID:To:References:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=i2kibvyLlFh0XMDxRDPIrQTpo41IJ5LKP94S0G1pvtBpKnb4hzYiEuLAi4Xms7w5y9ZhhUR4vmTYzy4f1vUg9JxQrL6KCVXUur4dFWbtZlOUediIRNlSzB41vbx20o1COUOX9iXBrNK+w1BIYZev3TOGqb+vKPVFJx68s1bPUSo=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Jim Singer gave a presentation on something that may relate to this at last
summer's GNRHS convention. Apparently about 1962 (I think perhaps in
conjunction with the Seattle World Fair) GN transferred more of its passenger
power to the west end, and contracted with CB&Q to let their E-units stay on
the Empire Builder and run west of the Twin Cities (I'm not sure how far they
went). Thus it was fairly common to see Burlington E-units on the Empire
Builder even west of the Twin Cities, and I'm told this lasted at least until
the merger. The mileage was equalized by operating GN freight units on the CB&Q
between the Twin Cities and Chicago. I'm not aware (but never say never) of any
GN passenger locomotives operating between the Twin Cities and Chicago.

Best regards,

Ken Middleton
Portage, MI
krmiddle@charter.net