Re: [CBQ] Ong, NE and waycar flag photos

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Ong, NE and waycar flag photos
From: Jpslhedgpeth@aol.com
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2014 14:34:34 -0500 (EST)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1393702475; bh=teXOAgfuhbAfL+TgkqdJZYJ+L09dRHNUDBxXCFiKUCg=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:References:To:In-Reply-To:X-MB-Message-Source:X-MB-Message-Type:X-Mailer:X-Received:Message-Id:x-aol-global-disposition:x-aol-sid:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=ZonKxTV+dCKCfyNwCX4HUfVpVS+LV1Hmg91kkrd8LsHKG9OaRVUhCa9oSBpc3vnR0JX3pnMpSIeSzldoMFFiaH6nQ9kZnE9hvs4vI4gHYPCNqt29Z8KRFrYcbts7TJav4R468NE1ki0zc03H8a3+3zS5xg5minHa5hSwdlfBs7g=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Dave Sarther....I've looked at the photos you referred to regarding flags
etc...This photo is obviously of a waycar restored for museum or like displays
and the flags were placed "just for show"...not to be representative of what
would "normally" be found in a working car.

Personally I never saw either green or white flags as part of a flagging kit or
kept with waycar flagging equipment...As you mentioned the white flags were
used along with white classification lights on locomotives to indicate that the
train was an extra...The use of white flags was discontinued by most railroads
sometime in the 1950's and only white lights were used for that purpose..day or
night...Green flags were used along with green classification lights to
indicate that there were additional sections of a schedule to follow.  Green
flags were still in use in the fifties.

As someone mentioned the red flag was an essential piece of flagging equipment
along with torpedoes and fusees..The number required to be carried by a flagman
was specified in the rule book by each carrier.  A red light (lantern) was also
required at night, but its seems to have been less important in the later
times....I've seen some rulebooks which required only  xx number of fuessees
and  xx number of torpedoes and a white light.

As to the kind of seats in the cupola..Charlie V. answered that one
correctly...The seats were "walkover"....In the later days of waycar use some
lines even equipped waycar seats with seatbelts.

Pete H.