RE: [CBQ] CB&Q Set of the Barriger Collection

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] CB&Q Set of the Barriger Collection
From: "John" <cadfael44@frontier.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 10:20:20 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1392654034; bh=6/k3+yIllwDgnCmp8GGx2OJ55hSScvtV2zk5WOkh1UQ=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Previous-IP:X-Received:To:References:In-Reply-To:Message-ID:X-Mailer:Thread-Index:Content-Language:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=AX1COTYjiuLow4Qg03CbdUh1MEWThW9k9mrXdo9tNaJ2WxMEDg4XaAIibWe9OGXOMQILJixgtXmoVNsSxiHjel+Vki1NlLjWTm+TA6yxs8pX79S3ehqvZGElDWjovQISYUFMMAHdMxb2hXwE4ptDwKEwCny09ue1+bm1RBm3few=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
John Barriger, II was appointed by President Roosevelt to the Reconstruction
Finance Board. He was also President of four railroads at different times in
his life. They were the Chicago, Indianapolis & Louisville much better known
as The Monon Railroad, then the Pittsburgh & Lake Erie followed by The
Missouri-Kansas and Texas Railroad and finally the Chicago, Rock Island &
Pacific but it was far too late for him to have any effect on the collapse
of the Rock Island.

He took hundreds if not thousands of photographs of lots of railroads as he
traveled over them stopping in a myriad of locations. His photograph
collection boggles my mind.

His son, John Barriger, III was an officer on the Santa Fe Railway where I
met him, introduced to me by the late Harvey Houston who was also interested
in other railroads besides the Santa Fe Railway as was I. We talked about
all manner of things railroad, including the Rio Grande Southern, the
lamented late Rock Island and the constituent parts of railroads that became
Conrail eventually.

John Hodson