[CBQ] Re: Oiling Track

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Oiling Track
From: William Barber <clipperw@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 08:25:12 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1389795917; bh=y1THhX9faSoGkxIs2XdT4BC2Bj+qbyLaFbkpMbhnowE=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-Id:References:To:In-Reply-To:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=J6MinJMauJbWvfG2/AE4ztkwflusW8cFhGNXXQaSLOcCQLXQcAA07nGehdPv1UDU23avJ0xqXcuMGLUwx2+f1Y6JCNA7ANn1kxjwfwvUVNDS3VFbCus6j+y+lINVYxhPDk7S5cMcHHF8i9uXT/JoUmLvfhokpVLWkptoewbw/vE=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Bill.

Have I been under a misunderstanding for most of my life? I was always under the impression that the brine came from the ice compartments of the refrigerator cars. I was told, long ago, that when they iced a reefer, they added a quantity of salt which supposedly made the ice cool better and more rapidly. The drains for the ice compartments were located somewhat above the rail area and the liquid that discharged was brine that attacked the rail. I have never heard that livestock waste was the issue although, that also seems plausible. However, I don't think that discharge is called brine. In addition, except for leakage through the floorboards, I would think that most of that discharge would go over the side sill well away from the rail. The Q stopped oiling the track when mechanical reefers replaced most of the iced cars. BTW, they were still icing refrigerator cars at Clyde Yard in 1972 - 1974 when I was assigned there. The icing station was just west of the diesel shop complex.

Bill Barber
Gravois Mills, MO