Re: [CBQ] Re: 1956 Empty stock cars eastbound

To: "CBQ@yahoogroups.com" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: 1956 Empty stock cars eastbound
From: "John D. Mitchell, Jr." <cbqrr47@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2013 10:26:59 -0800 (PST)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1387736821; bh=CisqKWTG29lu+VyTB6QkXV8rV2y4hRjxm+zUiy0aPiY=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-YMail-OSG:X-Received:X-Rocket-MIMEInfo:X-Mailer:References:Message-ID:To:In-Reply-To:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=klGv7Cd2iJiT+YkVu+0qHkPQIudZ75DM5hWPxw52gK7MFnYtgCL7arnNdFT6e06zNfC4QjrFeWqYNxIJTky67r1xBzKsuN3hnCjZpJU9rVMBxflo77x0fIyO7b23cOkGVKtNPg2CHU3tUHDpQ8lUGFl2rt3IFMh6mYdkLTzur7M=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Another possibility, when we see freight cars moving in the "wrong" direction concerns a like known facet of railroading. The AAR had a freight car service bureau. The function of this agency was to supply cars where needed. If a railroad had more traffic, requiring a certain kind of car, than it had in it's supply, it would make a request to the bureau, which in turn would put out a request to member roads. Any road that had a surplus would send them to the requesting road. The supplying roads were happy to do this because it let them collect car per deim on otherwise idle cars. The best example of this was when eastern roads would send boxcars west to the granger roads during the grain rushes.

It didn't work very well with coal cars, because the eastern roads required a lot of cars at the same time mid-western roads did (winter). But stock cars were some times sent to other roads, this way.

Another example was the so called "heavy duty flat cars". Several eastern roads (PRR, NYC, NH, Erie, et.al.) rostered many of these cars, not only for their own traffic, but to rent to other roads. The AAR handled these requests as well.

On , "John D. Mitchell, Jr." <cbqrr47@yahoo.com> wrote:
Bill
Just one small note on your post; a "section house" was a house for a section foreman or in some cases a section laborer. The place where a motor car was kept was always known on the railroad as a "car house" or a "tool house".
John Mitchell, section foreman's grandson