[CBQ] Re: CB&Q Headlights & Number boards

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: CB&Q Headlights & Number boards
From: William Barber <clipperw@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2013 18:39:52 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1387672798; bh=NZ9avoCeNaoW8/yeoCioVLDDiL2ohAjemXLhvZg7jbM=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-Id:References:To:In-Reply-To:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=RaPhz34VDs8RgcxwSH4KzSfZGSHgIg0h+PwZMvlesm27IIq+oOFYF2Z/PuiKERobyvpXX5Jo9VTfiBjZb4mA5VslXN40UJsVX0OCZ7KNxW+NfAxY7HhU0GnlxjFTRo9ta6ASg/tJ9zl0RwsRwIVsiYYKCZ97IZSmDDmskrfmPLU=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Bruce,

Adding to Phil Weibler's comments, I looked at a number of photos of Q locomotives with cuckoo clock headlights, today. The Q used the headlights on everything from 0-6-0T shop switchers to 2-10-2s. I agree with Phil that the number boards were intended to be illuminated. From the photos, it appears that the rectangular frame around the glass plate was secured to headlight housing with two bolt or screw arrangements at the right and left side of the assembly at the mid point of the vertical frame member.While I didn't find a close up, the securing mechanism was probably either a wing nut or a knurled knob. There does not appear to be any hinge as used on the later winged number board Sunbeam headlights.

Each number board assembly would have had it's own bulb. To change the bulb, probably a standard 30 volt, 30 watt coach bulb, the crewman would unscrew the two fasteners, remove the number board assembly and that would provide assess to the bulb. As Phil noted, the number boards could be illuminated separately from headlight. One thing to remember that most modelers overlook. Prior to the early 1950's, headlights and number boards were never illuminated during the daylight hours unless they had been left on inadvertently. Also, when trains meet at night, it was and is normal practice to dim or extinguish the headlight until the opposing locomotive passes. The number boards were and are left on.

Bill Barber
Gravois Mills, MO