RE: [CBQ] Re: Passenger Train Wreck at Red Oak in 1942

To: CB&Q Group <cbq@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] Re: Passenger Train Wreck at Red Oak in 1942
From: HOL WAGNER <holpennywagner@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 08:17:20 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1387293443; bh=EmOphLWnwnvLtAcHo0ejKI0M6drQeVeUIY2300e8Kg8=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-TMN:X-Originating-Email:Message-ID:To:Importance:In-Reply-To:References:X-OriginalArrivalTime:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=Y7QBbsdsh1S9bY7YbFNiHKEq+xDvszKF5+aYeRjaBai/CMIXsDipj+mRCoVzQ4xtnITI5pGQz9QUeKPDVJ4Zr9mdpTYq+xrKmVx9N5h4INNVlvvWRwmjmBozDXSprkudAXMmsz8py3nMbNcaO9mqEp8dEzQS0OtxHfD0niH1H2c=
References: <1387191882.241.26428.m7@yahoogroups.com>,<10CD9A99-2620-438F-8C19-FC080360E3E6@gmail.com>,<BLU180-W7108A83B9302E4075FFABB4D80@phx.gbl>,<1387227112.17866.YahooMailNeo@web141601.mail.bf1.yahoo.com>,<BLU180-W64DC1D2BABD89E2F6FE959B4D80@phx.gbl>,<1387231076.80374.YahooMailNeo@web141601.mail.bf1.yahoo.com>,<BLU180-W62E7989D30C1982F1A509CB4D80@phx.gbl>,<BAY173-W194AB963C37E6866C3EE5ACADB0@phx.gbl>
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Here we are -- quoting from Bill Schultz's manuscript on the Zephyrs (and I was wrong in my recollection that it was nearer Creston, as it actually happened just east of Villisca -- about midway between Red Oak and Creston):

"Twelve explosive charges placed on the westbound main line two and a half miles east of Nodaway, Ia., rocked the westbound Denver Zephyr when set off by person or persons unknown at 12:05 a.m. on Monday, September 14, 1942, as No. 1 was traveling at 80 miles an hour.  Remarkably, the train did not derail, and engineer Frank O. Paulius was able to halt the train within a quarter mile after the blasts occurred.  None of the 180 passengers or members of the crew were injured, with many of the passengers asleep at the time and unaware of the explosions which occurred after the two motors and two head cars had passed over the furthermost charge.  The 10 remaining cars of the train suffered relatively slight damage, with two chair cars and a 12-section sleeping car receiving most of the damage (to air brake equipment) . . . Foot-deep holes were left in the roadbed where the explosions occurred, and several crossties were shattered at the respective points of explosion.  Emergency repairs were made to the DZ on the spot, and the train -- due in Omaha at 1:10 a.m. -- departed Nodaway at 4:27 a.m., arriving in Omaha at 7:37 a.m., where passengers were transferred to a stub No. 1 for continuation of their journey to Denver, while the damaged Zephyr deadheaded east to Aurora shops for repair."

There is much more dtail about the incident and the subsequent investigation in Bill's manuscript, but suffice it to say that no one was ever apprehended or charged in the matter, and in the wartime paranoia at the time it was assumed to have been an attempt at sabotage, though to what end no one ever knew.

Hol