[CBQ] Re: FW: [steamlocomotivephotosandrestoration] Sandwich Fair Train

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: FW: [steamlocomotivephotosandrestoration] Sandwich Fair Train
From: William Barber <clipperw@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 11:57:00 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1380214625; bh=sd3jJb5pLjFFVutY1l0yOmymQgC8mwgYOpYxwL+CXpg=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:In-Reply-To:To:References:Message-Id:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=swWsUNLK7C5uJ41pzo5yU7WljzpczoQSQvagd53JfdypWCkc1M+/BqFTfqRbhJf3OQ3RV8OUToMiaTD0G4U/mjvu0ESUJ7hi2FWNE9yYTt4J0jnzT2Yw7DQyRiPdNCMBD6QYOZXfST71qVL6h5iRpCXx6ti3MG4AufmDJCg0Lgs=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Noel,

I have seen the Q hudson at the Sandwich County Fair a number of times. The "blue" boiler jacket is actually blued steel (Google it for a description). I believe that the hot process was used. Mr. Otto was an excellent metal craftsman. The bluing, which is also used on firearms, protects the metal from rust and corrosion without painting. The cylinder jackets are stainless steel and are also not painted. The electronic bell that you hear in one scene, is not on the locomotive, but is rather the crossing warning signal which is also part of the grade crossing lights, much like those found on real railroad crossings, now days. As you mentioned, the whistle is very close to what I remember of Q locomotives. The model was built in the early 1970's and first ran at the fair in 1974.  It only operates during the fair once a year except for a few special events. Mr. Otto died in 1994, but his family carries on the tradition.

Bill Barber
Gravois Mills, MO