[CBQ] Re: Operations at Grand Island Nebraska

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Operations at Grand Island Nebraska
From: "Larry Graus" <larry.graus@opc.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 13:05:46 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1375103149; bh=3yktYaiONeHcfhNuzrnI3lIbV25FKn0euX9BBJqWu9Y=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:In-Reply-To:User-Agent:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=y52e63NAN/QL2VEohv2VLFEWb73MeRcFcw6lzA+EH33tNgE98OrQljIyR68IZac82Kb4sifxoQoSYxXekK2QsNb3cly4EmDs5i5nB/gH22SMrry+TgF13n3R/l/DFKdGC1nsPnMl9tvkUw+M+OnRr8fZpo4tpamJT1yVYfjIRhA=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, "james" <jamessandrin@...> wrote:

> Photos have been taken of Geeps and SD9s at the Grand Island Depot,
> presumably for local use, usually from the Lincoln pool of power on a
> rotating basis. How were crews assigned to work the industries and UP
> interchange?  Were they out of the Lincoln-Ravenna pool or was it a bid type
> of assignment?  Also, how were crews working the C-GI trains actually
> assigned to that run?
>
> Concerning the physical plant:  What is known of something called the
> Beltline?  Is this the connecting line from the small Q/BN yard East of the
> Q/UP crossing to the UP yard on the East side of town?  What local industries
> were worked by the Q or jointly worked with the UP?

The Beltline is still fairly visible on Acme.mapper. From a point at the end of
East 1st Street (eastbound US30) in eastern Grand Island, the John Brownell
Trail heads south from the BNSF mainline, then southwest (in places it's called
Beltline Trail, then due west along South Ave. This is the old Beltline. I
cannot tell you what industries it served. I do remember seing a Geep or two at
the point where the Beltline crossed South Locust. It strikes me there was a
switch immediately to the east of this crossing, and that there were one or two
small oil tanks in the immediate surroundings. It met the UP in far-southwest
GI.

LarryG

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com